Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Peer Mentor

I am a peer mentor to a group of 12 first year law students. I am supposed to show them how to succeed in law school. Funny thing is, I haven't figured that out myself so how in the world am I supposed to pass it on? My grades are average (slightly below average as of this semester, which incredibly is still above a 3.0), I'm not overly involved in extracurricular activities, I rarely spend more than half an hour on my homework (if I do it at all), and I still have no job lined up for the summer.

My roommate, on the other hand, is the picture of law school success. She spends at least 5 hours a day doing schoolwork, made straight As last semester, and is going to be making 2 grand a week at a big Charlotte firm this summer. She, however, was not chosen to be a peer mentor. (Law school politics is a vicious thing).

My point is that I'm grossly underqualified for my position.

Many times I feel like that as a Christian...grossly underqualified. How can I share what Christianity is all about when I fall short in so many ways? I'm certainly not qualified to be called a child of God.

That's what I like about Christianity. We don't have to be perfect. In fact, calling yourself a Christian is the exact opposite--admitting we aren't perfect and that we need grace to save us. And God will use us despite our flaws to do his work.

So I found out recently that two of my mentees have been suffering from depression since they got to law school and I decided to share my story with them. They both expressed gratitude for my openness and concern, and relief to know they weren't alone. What they needed the most wasn't a mentor who knew all the secrets of success, but one that had struggled and could listen and understand. Turns out I was perfect for the job. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

WoW. Ya know, it's almost like the Lord knows what's in the future :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Chris Moody said...

Jerri, this is a really encouraging post! I agree with JT, sounds like God has you there for some awesome reasons!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there jerri. You know some of these blog sites have more info on them than regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use. Got sidetracked a wee bitl. Had fun though. Thanks jerri, Mike

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog site jerri. While searching websites looking for mp3 music sharing related info, I decided to try blog sites. Wow, there are so many of them it's amazing. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until last year. Now they're everywhere. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a lttle bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks jerri, Mike

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home