Wednesday, August 23, 2006

So what's new?

1. I’ve had an entire month of no classes and no job and it has flown by. I still have no direction on what to do next. I’m currently trying to decipher the thin line between waiting for God to reveal the path He wants me to take and waiting for an answer to fall in my lap. I can last about another month of unemployment based upon my bank account, but I’m hoping it won’t come to that.

2. I have a boyfriend. He treats me incredibly well. I keep waiting for him to realize he could do better, but he’s just too dumb and stubborn. :)

3. My church is doing some cool things.
A couple of weekends ago, almost 40 of us went on a “leader retreat.” I’m sure some of you have read about it on Lee’s blog. For me, the best part was getting together in groups of 2 or 3 and having conversations that really hit below the surface…finding out what was really going on in each others’ lives and being able to relate to each other on a deeper, more compassionate level. I learned so much from listening to the insane amount of wisdom these people have to offer and also during the time we took for self-reflection.
The slip-n-slide was pretty cool too despite the fact that it left me with a few bruises on my hip bones…I jumped on against my best judgment when I realized that the guys getting all banged up in the freezing rain were making the girls who were standing in their dry clothes watching from the porch look like a bunch of sissies. The experience would have been more pleasant if it were 10 degrees warmer and if I figured out how to stop at the end instead of sliding through 5 feet of grass and dirt, but all in all a good time.
Midtown is also taking on a project to remodel a family shelter to allow it to fit twice its capacity. If you have seen the TV show Extreme Home Makeover (the one that makes you cry during every episode), it will be similar to that. Since I have nothing to do with all my free time, I have decided to take on the responsibility of keeping the current residents entertained and fed during the weekend when the finishing touches will be made. It will be close to 30 people, mostly kids and single moms. If all goes well, we will hopefully be able to put them up in a hotel, take the families to do a fun activity together, get the moms a makeover and take them somewhere nice to eat, and most importantly, help them all catch a glimpse of the love of Christ. Please pray for this project, the families and workers at the shelter, and the support of local businesses and community members.

4. For those of you who prayed for my niece when she had surgery on her kidneys, thank you so much. Praise God for answered prayers! She went back for her checkup last week and no more kidney reflux.

5. I have developed an addiction for Lost and a crush on Matthew Fox. Shhh.

That’s all for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Hey Jerri! Sounds like life is moving in all kinds of new directions for you...for us as well. Check out our blogs.

Julie

2:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jerri, miss you, mean it . I'm glad you are doing well down in Cola.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Killer Hawk said...

Awesome about your niece! I love it when kids get better.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home