Sunday, October 23, 2005

Bumper Stickers

I love creative bumper stickers. A few ones that have caught my eye have been:
1. I love my wife (I wonder how many men actually know this bumper sticker is on the back of their trucks.)
2. My karma ran over your dogma.
3. Ban Comic Sans
4. Eve was framed
and a personal favorite,
5. It's hard to be humble when you own a Scottish Terrier.

A few days ago, I was driving to school and I saw this one:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so not like your Christ. -Gandhi"

It hit me extremely hard. I had just listened to a speaker preach on that topic a day before at school. He said that if we asked around, many people would not be able to tell who were Christians and who were not, and that this is dishonoring God and what He truly represents. He wondered how many of us who claim to be Christians actually know Christ.

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires." Galations 5:24 There should be drastic changes in the way we live and act that set us apart from the rest of the world. For the past year of my life, I feel like I have been slowly blending in more with the world, and my resemblance to Christ has become practically irrecognizable. Becoming like Christ is something we can never fully attain, but a goal that we must constantly work toward reaching.

I know I have my spot in heaven, but what am I doing to make sure my friends/family members/classmates/strangers are up there with me? The answer is "not enough."

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' " Matthew 25:34-36,40

What are we doing to set ourselves apart? How are we serving His people? What else can we do to bring glory to His name?

You are right about one thing Gandhi--it's about time our Christians starting acting like our Christ.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Moody said...

Gandhi has a good point there. Thanks for the post!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Gandhi is fairly smart guy, and I agree with him completely. We should be more like Christ. We should always strive to give God our best, to love/serve Him and be his voice and hands for others. At the same time....we definitely are not Him. That's the beauty of grace though.

By nature we will all fail. We are all hypocritical to some point b/c none of us are close perfect. No matter how much we try to die to (or deny) ourselves and pick up His cross....our "self" is still there. I would tell Ghandi what somebody told me once..."Don't focus on man. Focus on The Man."

That would totally suck if that was all, but what Ghandi (as smart as he is) didn't understand is that God loves us anyways. For whatever reason (His glory I believe), He sent His son to take our place for the sins we have committed. Maybe Ghandi just meant we would be extremely different people if we whole-heartedly believed that. Who knows?

Good post Jerri, and thanks for helping yesterday. It's pretty cool seeing God work in your life....or "our Christian becoming more like our Christ".

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

You are exactly right Jason, thank God for grace! I think what bothers me, and what I was referring to in my post, is when we start to think Christianity is more of a one-time shot. That once we accept Christ, we can sit back and relax. Whereas, if we "wholeheartedly believed" (to use your terms) in Christ, we would be out there working a heck of alot harder to bring glory to him. We would also be making an effort, not excuses, to get out of the sin that entangles it. Instead we let our selfish desires and worldly goals get in the way. And because of this, we leave millions of others with no clue of what truly Jesus represents.

Christians should stand out in a world of ungodliness. And when we do fall into the traps of Satan, we should be able to admit our shortcomings and give glory to God for accepting us anyway. Either way, we should be making an effort to show who He is to those who are lost.

I believe Gandhi was on to something when he called out our Christians. But if Gandhi could have understood the miracle of God's mercy, he would have been much wiser (and much happier right now).

5:46 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Oh, and thanks Jason for not being one of those Christians...I'm sure the kids at Heartworks appreciated your effort and initiative in showing them some love, Scooby!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home